Given the importance of weddings in our lives, it should come as no surprise to learn that there is a wealth of information surrounding weddings as well as all wedding-related matters. For example, there are a lot of interesting facts about the honeymoon out there for those interested in learning more.
10 Interesting Facts About the Honeymoon
Here are 10 of the most interesting facts about the honeymoon:
- The practice of the honeymoon started during La Belle Époque, which is the prosperous period between the end of the Franco-Prussian War in 1871 and the start of World War I in 1914. In those times, newly married couples would leave in the middle of the celebrations, often headed for romantic destinations such as Rome, Venice, and the French Riviera.
- Of course, the concept of the honeymoon had its predecessors. For example, the word is known to have existed back in the 16th century, when it was used to mean that the first month of a a marriage was the sweetest.
- Some people even believe that the concept can be traced back to pre-Christian times when newly married couples would drink copious amounts of mead at their weddings before being presented with a month's worth of the same sweet-tasting beverage. Since honey represented fertility, it's not exactly hard to figure out what they were hoping for.
- About 3 in 4 newly wed couples will head somewhere else to see the sights and sample the local entertainments. Some of these places will be relatively close to where they live, while other places will be found half a world away.
- Beaches and lakes are particularly popular, with 45 percent of all honeymooners choosing to visit places where at least one of the two can be found. No wonder Fiji destinations such as Turtle Island Resort are so popular with honeymooners.
- Although no more than 1 in 4 newly wed couples will be able to go on their dream honeymoon, it is interesting to note that 99 percent of all couples who choose to have a traditional wedding will go on some sort of honeymoon.
- As a result, honeymoons are a sizable industry that brings in $12 billion a year, meaning that there are a lot of businesses with a lot of expertise and experience in ensuring that their clients have the best time possible.
- Most honeymooners spend multiple times more on their honeymoon than what most people spend on a normal vacation.
- Some newly wed couples have honeymoon registries, which give their friends and family members a chance to contribute so that they can have the experience of a lifetime.
- Most people put a fair amount of thought into their honeymoons. In fact, most newly wed couples book their honeymoons about 4 months before their wedding dates.
If you are interested in heading out rather than staying somewhere close for your honeymoon, you should consider Turtle Island Resort, which is situated on one of the Yasawa Islands in Fiji. Our guests have enormous stretches of our private island all to themselves for the duration of their stay, meaning that they can indulge themselves to the fullest.